Life's Path

Monday, March 7, 2011

A New Year, A New Start?

New Year's Eve...a time to reflect on the past year and to look forward to new things ahead.  I am ready to say good-bye to this year.  Things have got to be better for 2009.

I am starting to get harassed from work as to when I am coming back.  How can I possibly know this answer?  It is my goal to be back to work, I am working on getting better and figuring out what is wrong with me.  What part of the doctor's note "Off indefinitely" do they not understand?  I try to ward them off that as soon as I know, they will know.  The last thing you need when you are sick is someone harassing you.  Stress does nothing good for you.

New Year's Eve we go out for supper at our usual spot Moxie's.  It is a tradition that I never cook the last meal of the year (not that I have been cooking or eating much these days but that is besides the point).  We come home to a quiet night of watching New Year's Eve festivities on the tube and try to stay up for the countdown.  I pour myself a small glass of champagne.  After a few sips, I have some sort of reaction.  My face looks like I have broken out into some rash and chicken pox looking.  It is just crazy, only a couple of sips.  My body is rejecting it or reacting to it and we have no idea what is going on.  Happy freakin New Year.

Now I have to back up the story a little bit.  About the time I started to not feel well, Glenn and I were in the planning stages of a trip to Mexico for the end of January.  We saved all year as we haven't had a real relaxing vacation since our honeymoon.  We had booked it for January 20-27th in the Mayan Riviera.  We were so looking forward to this getaway.  Now we don't even know if I will be able to make the trip.

I go to Dr. Boyko on January 8th and explain to him about our trip.  I told him that I had no idea I would still be feeling this way by now and am worried about loosing all our money and not going on the trip.  We have a great discussion and at the end of the appointment, my doctor clears me to go to Mexico.  He figures that the time away would do me good, the better weather will be nicer for my body and as long as I don't do any adventures while there (as if I could even think about it!) he didn't see why I shouldn't go.  Take my med's and get plenty of rest in the sun, away from phone calls, doctors and appointments.  I make sure that I get a note from him okaying this as I know I will need it in the future.  I can now relax.  We will be smart and careful but we can go to paradise for a week.

Let me tell you, I didn't know if I would even make it on the plane.  The morning that we were leaving, on the way to the airport the nausea kicked in real good.  I thought I was going to puke all morning and I wasn't even in the air yet.  (Nausea was one of the symptoms that I have been dealing with, gingerale is my best friend, I should have bought stocks in it!)  At the airport we do everything that we can to get the nausea under control.  The plane ride was interesting but no disasters happened and we were now in paradise. 

Ah, humidity and warmth.  You do something to the body that is indescribable!  My body is happier in this weather.  The pain in my body has virtually disappeared.  Probably being away from all the stress at home helps too.  We spend the week literally, on a beach chair, on the beach as long as the sun is up.  So many naps in the sun.  So nice to just soak it all in and let my body rejuvenate.  The warm Caribbean water is wonderful to float in.  I never want to leave.

There are challenges...it isn't all paradise...I am still sick.  Running from the beach to the bathroom is always a fun time (I am being very careful as to what I eat, but remember, diarrhea is a way of life for me.  It is daily and often.  It isn't happening just because I ate something or got a bug in Mexico).  Even though I am resting all day, I am still always extremely exhausted and go to bed early every night.  Good thing Glenn needs the break or this would not be a very fun time for him. 

Towards the end of the trip I cannot walk on my left foot.  The swelling in my foot is huge and is going up my leg.  It is also bruised like looking and is extremely painful to touch or do anything.  I can barely put my flip flop on let alone any other shoe.  We are unsure if we should see a doctor or not.  I haven't done anything to it like step on something, fall etc.  It just started to happen.  We text my mom (she has medical training) to tell her what is going on.  She asks if it is hot cause that could show signs of infection.  It isn't hot, just very swollen and painful.  Of course she isn't there to see it but is happy to hear that it isn't hot.  We decide not to see a doctor but to bandage it up and keep icing it.  When I got back home and showed doctor the pictures of my foot he figures that I got cellulitis.  Story of my life.  Good thing it wasn't anything else or didn't get worse.

We leave paradise feeling relaxed, tanned etc.  But reality is about to hit us soon.  I am still not better and the journey continues to finding out what is wrong.  We are thankful that we have had this time away together.  What awaits us when we come home??

No comments:

Post a Comment