Life's Path

Friday, March 18, 2011

Fibromyalgia Clinic (May 4-6, 2009)

Here it is...I am going to be spending the next 3 days in a room full of people with Fibromyalgia.  When I first get there it is kind of depressing...everyone seems to be 50+ and I am the young one in the bunch.  Do I really belong here?  Thankfully just before we go into session, another young lady joins the group and I don't feel so isolated.

The purpose of the clinic is for you to learn about your diagnosis, learn how to deal with it, get nutrition and fitness tips etc.  Remember, I don't think this is the right diagnosis for me but I have to attend the session anyways.  If anything, it is good to get out of the house for 3 days and to interact with people.  Information is always good, regardless, so I go in with an open mind and participate in the sessions over the next 3 days.

The thing that I really don't like about the sessions is that it almost becomes a contest with the group as to who's pain is worse, who has suffered the most etc.  It can really bring the group down.  The administrator's try to keep the group from having the conversation go that way but it is inevitable in a group setting like this.  It is sad to see so many people suffering from ailments that hinder their everyday life.  It is sad to hear of people who don't have the support system that I have...their spouses don't support them or understand what they are going through, their work places aren't treating them well etc.  It makes me thankful that I have such a great support system and that I have a job with benefits so that I can go on disability so that I can get myself better.

In the end, the 3 days weren't all a waste of time.  I was out, I was getting some good stretching in, I met a potential new friend and I came away more determined to get to the bottom of what was ailing me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment