Life's Path

Sunday, June 26, 2011

October 2010

Once again my favorite time of year!  I have been feeling sooooooo good!  I love it.  Now comes the real test.  The 3 weeks of wheat free is over and now I get to introduce wheat back into my system to see how I react. 

The 5th is my 35th birthday, and I feel like I am on top of the world!  Because I have had such a change in my health, I feel I need to do something remarkable for this birthday.  So I decide to go and get my nose pierced.  I have wanted to do it for some time, and was going to wait until my 40th to do it, but this is the year, I know that now is the time.  I meet up with my hairdresser, who is also a friend and we go to 'Strange City' on Whyte Ave to get pierced.  I have a really cool piercist and she is so gentle and kind.  I get pierced and I am so happy with it.  I think that Marianne was freaking out in the room as she could see what was going on...I just felt a little pinch and that was it.  Little did I know they have to put this big spike through your nose until they put the piercing in...what you don't know, doesn't hurt you.  For some reason, doing this has brought even more confidence in me.  My life is changing and for the better.  I spend the rest of the day getting my hair done, Glenn takes me out for supper and then we have some of my delicious red velvet cake...which I am so happy to have because I LOVE red velvet cake!  Thank goodness I can re-introduce wheat back into my system this week!  Birthday 35 was a memorable one.

A couple of days later, I go out for lunch with my Nanny.  She usually takes me out for lunch on my birthday (when I am working, I NEVER work on my birthday...nobody should work on their birthday!) but this year she couldn't do it the day of so we went a couple of days later.  We do our usual, fish and chips....something we both love and I usually only do with her.  Again, I am thankful to be able to partake as the fish is battered but hey, I am back on wheat!

October 8th, I am booked for a Gastroscopy once again.  I know that it will reveal nothing, especially since my recent turn around with my health.  Before the appointment, my very good friend Lisa is flying through and has a stop over in Edmonton for a couple of hours.  We meet for lunch...okay, Glenn and her meet for lunch and I am there for the visit as I can't eat before the procedure.  It is so good to see my friend once again!  After our short but great visit, we are off to the hospital for the gastroscopy.  It goes very smoothly and I sleep off the medication for the rest of the day.

Now it is the long weekend with Thanksgiving.  Oh how I am so looking forward to turkey, and gravy, and dressing and buns, pumpkin pie and...you get it.  This could be my last "traditional" meal like this so I am going to enjoy it to the fullest.  We have a wonderful dinner with family up at my brother and sister-in-laws place.  It is like heaven in my mouth, all the wonderful dishes that have been made.  But I know that this won't be the norm for me anymore.

You see, ever since I have introduced the wheat back into my system...I am going downhill again.  It is a slow decline, but it is happening.  The energy is leaving me.  I am feeling gross again.  I am back in the bathroom again.  All the old symptoms are coming back.  I know what my life is going to look like in the future...it is going to be one without wheat.  Yup, I am allergic to wheat.  Body has confirmed it 100%.

This diagnosis kind of baffles people.  When you think of allergies, they can vary.  Some just kind of get you down (runny nose, stuffed up, itchy eyes etc.), some are life threatening, like peanuts and the such.  Mine was going to kill me.  It wasn't going to happen real quick, like needing an epi-pen to inject adrenaline in me to bring me back.  But I was being poisoned every day.  That is what was happening.  Because wheat is in SO many things, not just baking and such, I was constantly bombarding my system and I was slowly poisoning myself.  Eventually, in probably 20 years or less, I could have faced death because of the wheat.  I know it sounds crazy, but that is what it was doing to my system.

I have great discussions with my naturopath about this.  I do much research and realize how lucky I am that we have figured this out.  I am understanding more and more of the frustrating battle I went through with the medical community and their search to find out what was wrong with me.  It basically came down to an allergy.  And it has changed my life forever.



I end off the month by going on a quick extended weekend road trip with a good friend Rae Ann to Saskatchewan to visit friends.  It was a wonderful time to go back and meet up with some friends that I haven't seen in years.  Rae Ann's family is like family to me and I so enjoyed going back to her family farm for a visit.  I even made cabbage rolls for the first time and had a blast doing it!  It was a wonderful way to end off such and amazing month!

No comments:

Post a Comment