Life's Path

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

December 1-7, 2008

I am really getting sick.  But I think you get the picture.  When I eat anything, 10 minutes later I am in the bathroom.  We time it so we know.  I can barely keep anything in me.  I am losing weight like crazy.  I can barely keep my eyes open from exhaustion.  I feel like I have left my body.

I get called back to the doctor's office for my blood work results.  I refuse to go back to my doctor so I see another doctor in the same office.  (I do this until I can get in to see Glenn's doctor)  Things are getting worse on paper but they have no idea what is going on.  This doctor recommends that I see a neurologist to deal with the headache and neurological disorders that I am having.  Maybe I am developing MS??  This doctor orders some more blood work.  I might as well start putting a tap on my arm so that they can have easy access to my blood!

I also go to a Naturopath doctor on December 2nd.  She is amazing.  She goes over my whole health history with me.  She has a feeling that my adrenal system isn't functioning properly.  She needs more time with me and more tests.  I hope that I can get back to her.  She at least gives me a glimmer of hope and assures me that she will help me.

December 4th I am too sick to go to work.  December 5th, same thing.  At about 8:30AM I know that something is seriously wrong.  I can barely make it to the phone to call Glenn.  I need him to come home and to take me to the ER.  I feel myself slipping away, I am not myself anymore.  Glenn immediately rushes home from work and takes me to the U of A hospital Emergency room.  As with all emergency rooms, the wait time is long.  I don't remember much of it though.  I am kind of in and out of it.  I can't keep anything in me.

Once I get back to the examining area they start running tests on me.  There are concerns but they don't know what is going on.  They do know that I am dehydrated and that my potassium levels are dangerously low.  I am hooked up to an IV for hours and they pump me full of things.  Glenn is able to leave, go home get something to eat and make many phone calls to worried family and friends.  I barely even know that he is gone as I am so out of it.

Late that night, with no clear answers, they decide to send me home.  I am instructed to go on the "BRAT" diet to help with the diarrhea.  BRAT stands for Banana, Rice, Applesauce and Toast.  I am apprehensive about leaving the hospital as I haven't had anything to eat and don't know how the diarrhea will be.  I thought that they should at least tried to feed me there and see how that went.  They figure that I will be okay now that they have given me all these IV's. Glenn picks up the ingredients that we don't have on the way home. 

As soon as I am home, we try a banana and toast.  Like clock work, 10 minutes later I am back in the bathroom.  I am not better.  The more we keep trying with foods (not only to try but to get some nutrients in me) the more I end up in the bathroom.

Luckily my good friend Lisa came into town to visit us.  She has had health issues of her own and it was so nice to have her to talk to about my frustrations and for her to give us some of her knowledge.  She recommends that I try Boost drinks so that I can at least get some nutrients in me.  I wish I could have enjoyed our visit more.  But I think it was nice for Glenn to have her around to help him out and to give him some advice as he walked through this with me.  Lisa has remained an integral part of my health journey.  I love ya and thank God for you so much Lisa!!

We try and make it through the rest of the weekend.  Hopefully Monday will be a new start and that I will be able to start eating again.  I have to, I think I have lost 20 pounds now.  Not the way you want to lose weight, believe me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment