Life's Path

Friday, April 8, 2011

Concerts and Bathrooms

October 22, 2009 I go back to see Dr. Duggan the Internist.  We continue to go over everything that has been happening since last seeing him 10 months ago.  He is still baffled as to what is going on with me.  He still has no answers for me.  He says that he will have to continue to work with Dr. Boyko to come up with some plan for me as to getting me figured out.  Ugh.

October 28, 2009 is a VERY big and exciting day!!  Months ago my brothers and sister-in-law bought tickets to go see U2 in concert in Vancouver.  They weren't scheduled to come to Edmonton on this tour so we made plans to go there and see them.  We had no idea way back then that I would still be sick and could possibly miss this.  The time has now come.  Dr. Boyko clears me to go but tells me to take it easy. 

So away we go!  I think that the adrenaline gets me through the first part of the trip as it is exciting as always to fly somewhere, to go to another destination, to see people I haven't seen in awhile and to experience a great concert.  We were so lucky that our cousin who lives in Vancouver met us at the airport and helps us to get around town.  Thank goodness for the amazing transportation system in Vancouver!  We caught the train right from the airport and took it downtown.  From there we had to walk a few blocks to our hotel and drop off our luggage.  We made our way down to GM place to meet up with some people and then eventually have supper all together.  It was shaping up to be a great day.  The tingling in my face was very extreme and I just wanted to rip my skin off but other than that I was holding up not too bad throughout the day.

We are finally in at the concert.  During the opening act, things started to go wrong again with me.  I was hit with a wave of exhaustion.  And then my bowels started to go on me.  I made a mad dash for the bathroom, and there is a long line up.  I pray like no tomorrow.  I don't want to appear rude and ask to go to the front of the line.  I am getting really desperate.  Somehow I make it with about 2 seconds to spare.  But it is a bad episode.  I am dripping with sweat and the cramping in my stomach is insane.  And here I am in a public bathroom and trying to well, you know...keep everything under control.  After awhile, you just don't care anymore.  You are never going to see those people again.  I finally get through my episode and go back to my seats.  I hope that I can make it through the rest of the concert.  Thankfully, I am able to enjoy the concert.  Afterwards, on the walk back to the hotel we have to make another stop so that I can get some gingerale so that it will hopefully settle things down so that I can make it to the hotel without having to have another episode.  Once back at the hotel room, I finally "relax"...if that is even a word that I know.  At least I know I am near a bathroom and can deal with things if need be.

That night I am a frozen to the bone.  I can't seem to get the heat right in the room.  Finally at about 2:00 AM I call the front desk to see if they can help me.  They come up and make some adjustments and it starts to get warm.  I am shivering, and just feeling a mess.  This is no vacation, that is for sure.

The next day I catch the train out to the Abbotsford area as I am going to stay with my good friend Kristi and her family out there.  She is one of my best friends and was my maid of honor in my wedding and I miss her and her friendship so much since she left Edmonton.  We had an amazing weekend together.  We spent some time in the States doing a little shopping and were able to stay at their families cabin in Washington for a night and just have some girl time.  That weekend with Kristi did so much for me and was so needed.

November 1, 2009 my brother and I went to the Mat Kearney concert in Vancouver.  It worked out really well to tag this onto the trip.  My good friend from Minnesota plays in the band and not only do I get to see another good concert, I get to see my friend Tyler as well.  We have an amazing time at the concert and it is so good to catch up with Tyler.  I have so many good friends in my life, unfortunately so many of them don't live anywhere near me and any chance that I get to see them and reconnect is always so special and treasured to me.  Emotionally, I feel on such a high after this trip.  Good music, good times and more importantly good friends.  Physically it took a toll on me, but as I said before, and I will say it again...I would do it over in a heart beat!  Getting an emotional boost does wonders for the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment