Life's Path

Thursday, September 21, 2017

It's been awhile and much has happened...

I can't believe it has been so long since I last wrote.  That can be a good thing.  Things are going well?  Nothing to really report or say??  I guess so, but when I think about it, there is much to still say and report to you.  Health is a constantly changing and evolving thing.  You never know what can happen, good or bad.  So where do I begin...

Once we got the Lupus under control, it has gone pretty well!  I have not had a flare up and it never did go systemic to this date.  I am so beyond thankful for this!  I still have to be careful in the sun, still have to manage stress levels and always keep up with nutrition and supplements.  So far, 3 years later, all good!

But then little blimps come up here or there that we don't see coming and sideline us once again.  Yup, it happened.  Life was going good.  Having fun with friends and family.  Working with my brother and back at my old roots of Teen Time of Edmonton.  One of my best friends was getting married in just over a month.  I had the honor of helping to plan and coordinate her wedding.  It was lots of fun and the weekend was coming up and we had the bachlorette party coming up!  It was a Friday evening in June, I was running around doing last minute errands for the party the next day.  I had one last stop and then was going home to be with my husband to relax and watch a movie.  But, that did not happen.

I had just finished calling my husband to say that I was running a bit late but don't worry, I had one last stop and then would finally be home and we could have supper.  I then pulled up to my last stop across the street and parked the car.  I got out and ran across the street and went to jump up on the curb of the sidewalk.  I didn't make it.  My feet did not clear the curb and I went head first into the cement sidewalk.  The next thing I knew, I had people around me helping me up and asking me if I was okay.  I had the worst headache.  Blood was coming down the side of my face.  I wasn't okay.  At least I had the sense to tell someone to get the phone out of my purse and call my husband.  It was also a good thing that I had my crash right outside a restaurant so that there were people around to help and the staff saw what happened and were able to get me some ice and a chair to sit on.  My husband made it to me and so did the bride to be (I don't remember how she found out but was glad she could make it as well). 

After initial assessments were made, we decided that I probably had a concussion and would go home to rest.  My husband is a former professional athlete and has suffered his fair share of concussions so he knew how to take care of me.  That night the head pounding was intense.  The next day was better but I missed half the bachlorette party as we didn't think it would be wise to spend the whole time there.  The Sunday, I felt pretty good!  I had a good bruise but I was pretty much headache free and thought all would be well. 

And then we go to work on Monday.  Yeah, that's when the reality hit in.  As soon as I began to work on the computer, the headache came flooding back and I could not stand to look at the screen.  I tried to do as much work off the computer.  The next day, I tried to go to work again and it only got worse.  I knew that this was not good and I needed to see my doctor.  Doctor confirmed my concussion and so began a long 5 month journey.  I was not able to work for 5 months.  I suffered many debilitating headaches.  I couldn't remember things.  Light was bothersome.  I would be driving to an appointment and I wouldn't know why I was on a certain road or where I was going.  I would have to pull over and look and my calendar to see where I was to be going to remember anything. 

As long as it was, I was thankful for the time.  I did many massage therapy sessions.  I tried Cranial Sacral treatments as well which were very beneficial.  I did a float tank which was super cool. No sensory and floating in Epsom salts was super beneficial.  It was a lot of down time and very limited screen time during these months.  I wasn't even cleared for exercise until about 4 months in.  But all of that was so necessary to heal my brain.

I learned a lot in this time.  I was able to sympathize better with my husband and his post concussion syndrome.  I learned that time is the greatest healer and we owe our bodies that time.

The brain is an extremely precious tool.  We need to take care of it. 






No comments:

Post a Comment